Important information for early high school graduates

I am completing my requirements for graduation early. Can I enroll at York Technical College in the spring semester beginning in January?
Yes; however, you must be available to begin classes on the first day of class for the spring semester. With the changes in the school calendar, most early graduates will not complete their high school coursework until well after the spring semester begins. In those cases, students can consider the 12-week term, which begins in February, or the 8-week term beginning in March.

What are my steps to enrolling as an early graduate?
Visit the York Tech website steps to enroll page for information.

Are there any additional forms I will need to complete for admission?
Because you are considered to be enrolled in high school until you receive your diploma, you will need to complete and submit the parental/school permission form which is available when you apply.

Am I eligible for federal financial aid such as the PELL Grant as an early graduate during the spring semester prior to receiving my diploma?
Students are not eligible for federal aid until they receive a diploma and/or a final transcript with a "graduated" designation even if the requirements for a diploma have been completed. This could also include the summer term since many students do not receive their diploma until after summer classes begin in May.

Can I receive my LIFE Scholarship as an early graduate?
Students who complete their high school graduation requirements prior to the official graduation date reported on the final high school transcript may be eligible to receive the LIFE Scholarship dependent on the approval of the SC Commission on Higher Education (CHE). The student must complete and submit the CHE Early Graduation Application, an official high school transcript, and an official letter from the high school principal verifying that he/she has met all graduation requirements.

If I am not eligible for LIFE or elect not to start my LIFE Scholarship in the spring semester, what financial assistance is available to me?
South Carolina Lottery Tuition Assistance is available and pays $95 per credit hour for qualified students enrolled in at least 6 credit hours.

How do I receive LTA (Lottery Tuition Assistance) as an early graduate?
In order to be reviewed for LTA as an early graduate, you must complete FAFSA Waiver form, which is available in the Financial Aid Office, and be registered for at least 6 credit hours.

Will I be eligible to apply for federal student aid after I receive my diploma?
Yes. In fact, students should complete their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as early as January in preparation for the next academic year which begins with the fall semester. For more information about early graduation, contact Enrollment Services at (803) 327-8008 or (800) 922-8324.