Academic Coaching and Tutoring
The mission of the Academic Coaching and Tutoring Center at York Technical College
is to help students become independent, self-confident, and efficient learners. Our
services help foster student success and retention through the mastery of academic
skills and course content. Our goals are to:
Help students learn and apply appropriate academic skills and strategies to promote success in academic work.
Help students develop a positive attitude toward learning and confidence in their ability to learn.
Introduce students to the learning expectations of college-level course work.
Support the academic standards of York Technical College.
Help students achieve their potential for learning.
Any student enrolled at York Tech is eligible to participate in Academic Coaching. Academic coaches will meet one-on-one to help students
- understand a syllabus
- prepare for exams
- get organized
- read more effectively
- conquer procrastination
- and more!
Tutoring Attendance Policy
Our services are free and open to all enrolled students but resources are limited. In order to serve as many students as possible, we have an attendance policy. As such, if a student misses three scheduled tutoring appointments in a row without prior cancellation, the student may not be able to schedule additional appointments during that term. Students may begin scheduling appointments again at the start of the next term.
Get online tutoring through Brainfuse. You can access Brainfuse online tutoring by logging in to D2L and clicking on the Brainfuse logo.
Follow these easy steps to connect with a York Tech tutor:
Click on the Brainfuse icon in D2L.
Under TUTOR MATCH, Click on the “Grade” (College) and “Subject” (that you would like tutoring for).
- Click on “Schedule”. You will see the Request Tutoring Session page.
- View the available dates and click on the date you would like to schedule a tutoring session.
- View the available times and click “Select” on the time you would like. This will take you to the confirmation page.
- View the session information, add your phone number, and include a short note about what you would like assistance with. Click “Request Session”. You may request a session up to 20 minutes prior to the start time.
- A notification will be sent to the tutor and the tutor will confirm your session.
- At the time of your confirmed session, hover over the Brainfuse account features in the right-hand corner and click on “Calendar”.
- To begin your tutoring session, click “Enter”.
View a short video on Tutor Match here.
Also remember, if tutoring for the subject you are looking for isn’t available in Tutor Match - you can connect with a tutor located at Brainfuse through “Live Help”. "Live Help" tutors are not York Tech tutors, but they are skilled and knowledgeable.
Tutoring is FREE and open to all currently enrolled York Tech students. Year-round, the ACT Center in the Learning Commons offers subject-specific tutoring to assist York Tech students with their coursework. All tutoring is done on an appointment basis during the scheduled hours at the main campus and also at each of the off-campus centers. Students are welcome to stop in at any one of the ACT Centers for more information during any of the scheduled hours. Off-campus center hours are posted at each site. Email email@example.com for current information and scheduled hours.
Follow the steps below if you would like to make an appointment for in person tutoring:
- Log in to Navigate: Click here to download the App.
- Click on Appointments on the left, and then click “Schedule an Appointment” at the top.
- Select the type of appointment would you like to schedule: select Coaching, Tutoring & Library Services.
- Select a service: Academic Coaching, Help with D2L or other technology, Tutoring, or Reading/Writing Assistance.
- Pick a date and click Find Available Time.
- Courses you are enrolled in with tutoring available will display or choose a course from the dropdown menu. Times will be displayed.
- Click on a time to choose it, review details, and schedule.
- Go to the Learning Commons for your appointment.
If you have any trouble accessing Academic Coaching and Tutoring services, please contact ACT Coordinator, Tracy Hudson at (803) 981-7316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
525 College Place
Chester, SC 29706
Open Tutoring: Call (803) 385-5884 or email ACT@yorktech.edu for hours and tutor availability.