The Medical Assisting certificate program prepares graduates to become multi-skilled part of a health care team. Medical assistants work in both clerical and patient care sides of medical offices. Other job options include hospitals and urgent care centers. Those who want to work in the health care and would enjoy a fast pace and variety may choose this program. Students enrolled in this program are subject to criminal background checks and drug screenings. Upon successful completion of the program, the student is eligible to sit for the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) certification exam offered by the American Medical Technologists, 10700 West Higgins Rd. Suite 150, Rosemont, IL 60018, phone: 847-823-5169 fax: 847-823-0458, www.americanmedtech.org.
Complete AHS-102 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete BIO-112 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete ENG-155 (Minimum Grade of C)
Complete PSY-105 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete AOT-110 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete AOT-252 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete AOT-267 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete MED-113 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete MED-114 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete MED-117 (Minimum Grade: C)
Complete HIM-130 (Minimum Grade: C)
Entry into the certificate program of Medical Assisting requires students to meet the entry requirements of the parent institution and must possess a high-school diploma or equivalent.
The following requirements are required to participate in the clinical rotation required for this program:
- Complete Medical Physical Examination (including updated immunizations)
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Liability Insurance Policy (available through College at an approximate cost of
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug screening for drugs of abuse (prior to/during clinical rotations)
- Current CPR (prior to clinical rotations) – American Heart Association
- Proof of two MMR vaccinations AND Rubella titer is required or if no proof of MMR is available you must have titers for each(Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) titer require
- Proof of Tetanus booster (Last booster must have been received within the past 10 years)
- Hepatitis B vaccination is recommended (Documentation of declination is required if student does not have the vaccine)
- COVID vaccine required. This vaccine mandate is a direct requirement of our clinical partners
- Documentation of Flu Vaccine or Contraindication
- Proof of 2 step PPD within 3 weeks prior to entry of program is required
Clinical facilities require drug screens and background checks before allowing students to participate in clinical rotations. Students participating in clinical may be required to have a drug screen at any time during their rotation. Results of background
checks and drug screens will be reviewed with designated personnel at the clinical affiliate sites. To be accepted for a clinical placement, all findings must be satisfactory to participating clinical sites. Students not accepted for clinical rotations
will not be able to successfully complete the course or program. Students are required to hold current Healthcare Provider CPR certification before entering clinical rotations.
Admission Requirements: Admission to the Medical Assisting Certificate Program requires that the student have qualifying scores on the College’s placement test (Compass Writing 70, Compass Reading 81, Compass Pre-Algebra 54). Keyboarding
skills (AOT 105 or exemption) are a prerequisite for entry into several of the major courses.