South Carolina Programs
Education benefits for South Carolina residents include:
- Palmetto Fellows: Initial eligibility for the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship is determined by the South
Carolina Commission on Higher Education (CHE). A student’s high school guidance counselor
submits an application on their behalf to CHE if eligibility requirements are met.
Freshmen receive $6,700 and second-year students receive $7,500. Palmetto Fellows
recipients are not eligible for LIFE or Lottery Tuition Assistance.
- LIFE Scholarship: The Legislative Incentive for Future Excellence (LIFE) Scholarship is a merit-based
scholarship program administered by the financial aid office at each eligible public
and independent college and university in South Carolina. At technical colleges The
LIFE Scholarship may be used towards the cost of tuition and fees for up to four terms
based on the student's initial college enrollment date. (**Note that students enrolled in Dental Hygiene, Medical Lab, and Rad Tech programs
may receive LIFE for a maximum of six terms**) Students must be enrolled in their first one-year program, first associate’s degree,
or first two-year program leading to a baccalaureate degree. The annual award amount
for LIFE is $5,000. Of the $5,000, $4,700 is related to tuition, and the remaining
$300 is based on the cost of textbooks. LIFE recipients are not eligible for Lottery
- Lottery Tuition Assistance: The SC Lottery Tuition Assistance Program was created to provide a supplemental resource
to South Carolina residents at two-year public or independent institutions. Lottery
Tuition Assistance award amounts vary as determined by CHE and can change each term
and/or academic year. For fall 2021, eligible full-time students may receive up to
$1,275 per term and eligible part-time students may receive $85 per credit hour to
be used toward the cost-of-tuition.
- SC WINS: SC WINS is statewide technical college scholarship designed to address workforce shortages.
The scholarship supplements Lottery Tuition Assistance to help cover tuition and mandatory
fees assessed to all students after applying all other federal and state aid. To be
considered, the student must be receiving SC Lottery Tuition Assistance and either
major in a critical workforce academic program OR meet USDA income eligibility guidelines. For fall 2021, SC Wins will pay up to $65
per semester hour.
- Need-Based Grants: The purpose of the SC Need-Based Grant is to provide additional financial aid to South Carolina’s neediest students. A student may receive up to $2,500 annually if enrolled full-time or up to $1,250 annually if enrolled part-time as a degree-seeking student at an eligible SC public institution.
In This Section...
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR ALL STATE PROGRAMS:
- Be a South Carolina resident.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident (green card).
- Be enrolled as a degree-seeking student at an eligible South Carolina public or private
- Certify that the he/she has never been convicted of any felonies and has not been
convicted of any alcohol or other drug-related misdemeanor convictions within the
past academic year (excluding Lottery Tuition Assistance Program).
- Verify that he/she does not owe a refund or repayment on any Federal or State financial aid and not be in default on any Federal loans.
- Cannot exceed the cost-of-attendance (excluding Lottery Tuition Assistance, which can only be used toward the cost of-tuition)
- Half awarded during the fall and half during the spring (LTAP may be awarded during the summer)
- Generally can receive funds from only one program during an academic year
These programs are administered by the S.C. Commission on Higher Education