Your advisor has been assigned to assist you in determining the course sequence in fulfilling your program requirements. Please see your academic advisor to assist you in determining your eligibility for graduation.
2023 Commencement Information
Date: May 9, 2023
Time: Divisional Times Listed Below
Location: Winthrop Coliseum
3 p.m. Business, Computers, Arts & Sciences Division
Industrial & Engineering Technologies Division
Workforce & Economic Development Division
7 p.m. Health & Human Services Division
Graduation Application Deadlines
Fall 2022: October 1, 2022
Spring 2023: March 1, 2023
Summer 2023: March 1, 2023
COVID-19 Graduation Guidelines
York Technical College believes that the health and well-being of Students, employees
and guests are of utmost importance to our mission. The College’s Crisis Management
Team continues to monitor our internal data as well as that of the CDC and S.C. Department
of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) data to make informed decisions regarding
the need for adding or easing COVID-19 safety measures. As we will be guests on the
Winthrop Campus, The College will abide by any required COVID-19 safety protocols
that govern the use of the Coliseum at Winthrop University.
We anticipate that the guidelines listed below will be applicable for our graduation ceremonies in May 2023 but our College's Crisis Management Team will continue to monitor the situation.
If a student or their guests are feeling any COVID-19 symptoms, please stay home. You are advised to seek medical attention if your symptoms are severe or persistent. Symptoms of COVID-19 can include one or more of the following:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New GI symptoms
- New loss of taste or smell.
This list does not include all possible symptoms. Refer to the CDC website for the latest developments of the virus.
Sanitation and Social Distancing
Hand sanitizing stations will be accessible to students and encouraged for use and safety along with handwashing in restrooms. Social distancing protocols will be in place throughout the commencement ceremony and arena. Students and guests are to stay distanced, follow floor markings and the directions of York Technical College and Winthrop University event staff.
- Must be admitted to the curriculum and program model under which you plan to graduate.
Please note: A minimum of one course required for graduation must be completed after
the effective term of the program for that catalog year.
- Must satisfactorily complete the required number of hours and courses for the curriculum
- Have achieved a 2.0 program grade-point ratio on all courses that apply toward graduation
in the program.
- Paid all fees and other financial obligations due the College.
- The Application for Graduation may be completed in Enrollment Services located in
the Student Services building. Students may also complete the application online.
- If you plan to participate in the graduation ceremony, which is held at the end of
the Spring term, you must apply by the published deadline of the academic year in
which you plan to graduate.
If you do not plan to participate in the graduation ceremony, you will need to apply by the established deadline.
Commencement Ceremony Participation:
- Students who have completed graduation course work for a degree or diploma in the Fall semester of the previous year or those who anticipate completing course work in the Spring or Summer term of the current year.
Receipt of Degree or Diploma:
- Everyone who walks across the stage at the ceremony will receive an award cover with
a congratulatory note from the College.
- The actual degree or diploma earned will be issued from the Academic Records Office approximately six weeks after the end of the term in which the student completes graduation requirements.
Honor Awards Recognized in Graduation Program:
- Phi Theta Kappa
- Who's Who Among Students in American Junior Colleges
- Honor Graduates (3.50 GPA or higher in all course work at the College through the Fall semester of the year of graduation).
- Honor graduates who participate in the graduation ceremony receive an honor cord.
President's Award Recipients:
- Selected students who have achieved academic excellence or made outstanding contributions
to the College and who are participating in the graduation ceremony are honored at
the ceremony by being presented with the President's Award.
- Students are selected by their academic division.
Replacement or Duplicate Award Requests:
- To obtain a replacement or duplicate award certificate, please fill out the Replacement-Duplicate Award Request Form and submit it online to the Academic Records Office.
Guidelines for Guests:
- Please arrive at Winthrop Coliseum at least 30 minutes early.
- Graduation is a formal, dignified ceremony. Please be courteous to other guests and
observe silence during the ceremony so families can hear all of the graduation candidates'
names as they are called.
- Due to the formal nature of the ceremony, families are advised not to bring children
under the age of six in order to minimize disruption of the ceremony.
- Winthrop Coliseum and York Technical College do not allow eating, drinking, smoking, or cell phone use during the graduation ceremony.